11.05.2008

The day after the elections..some thoughts and ideas




Like a lot of you, last night I waited and hoped for the TV to give me good news. That news never came. Seeing the first Black President should be a moment for us as a country to celebrate. But I want to say that for many who think that the American dream NOW can finally be reached (or that they can FINALLY be proud of their country) I want to say: I have always been proud of this country. When Reagan, Bush and Clinton were president and I will be proud now. As someone who's family came from Guatemala with nothing, I've seen the American dream come true. I want to celebrate but I can't because of many ethical issues that I disagree with this new President on. But after much thought and prayer and discussions with friends, I have a few ideas to share. Could something good come out of this? I believe so.

1. Humility. I hope that we are humbled today, and instead of being bitter, will pray, and continue to work even harder to articulate our faith, our values and ideas. The church for better or worse is now politically active. Unfortunately we have stayed in the bumper sticker mode of thinking and idea presentation. I hope shallow thinking will be replaced with a real robust presentation of our ideas (that have shaped the West for thousands of years) including the greatest gift we offer: The gospel.

2. 55,543,527. From the good people at Triablogue, I was reminded that that is how many people voted against Obama. This also shows that moderate republicanism won't win. The party has left us, and it must change. Conservativism can win, and McCain's loss (sadly) shows it. But I think for us conservatives, our time will come again.


3. The Sovereignty of God
. I could only hope that as people look for answers, they will find hope in the words of the Psalmist

Psalm 135:6-10
6 Whatever the LORD pleases, he does,
in heaven and on earth,
in the seas and all deeps.
7 He it is who makes the clouds rise at the end of the earth,
who makes lightnings for the rain
and brings forth the wind from his storehouses.

8He it was who struck down the firstborn of Egypt,
both of man and of beast;
9who in your midst, O Egypt,
sent signs and wonders
against Pharaoh and all his servants;
10 who struck down many nations
and killed mighty kings,


4. 2010. In two years, we will be voting again. I can only wonder where we will be. But, if you're mad today, I ask that you consider getting even more politically active. I've had the same two liberal senators in California since I was in 5th grade and it's time for change. I think if we want to see things happen, it will happen at the grassroots level. Here are a few places to get involved:

www.americansolutions.com (Newt Gingrich has some cool ideas)

www.hucpack.com
(Mike Huckabee started a political action committee and I like him, his way of doing things and see his new political institute as a means for people to get things done).

More so, keep in mind that real change will always be needed at the LOCAL LEVEL! The fact that in "blue" California, Prop. 8 is passing I see that local politics are not a lost cause. There is much to do and keep doing. Even if 8 passes today it will be a battle. Abortion will again be an issue. Please people, don't give up, local politics (especially in California) will always be important (no electoral college, just popular vote). Also issues on crime, the environment, church/state issues, and such will always be around for us to vote on.

5. Pray. I am happy to see people here who can put politics aside and pray for our new leader. Justin Taylor writes:

No matter who you voted for--or whether you voted at all--it's important to remember that, as President, Barack Obama will have God-given authority to govern us, and that we should view him as a servant of God (Rom. 13:1, 4) to whom we should be subject (Rom. 13:1, 5; 1 Pet. 2:13-14).

* We are to pray for Barack Obama (1 Tim. 2:1-2).
* We are to thank God for Barack Obama (1 Tim. 2:1-2).
* We are to respect Barack Obama (Rom. 13:7).
* We are to honor Barack Obama (Rom. 13:7; 1 Pet. 2:17).


It's interesting that it says in 1 Timothy that we are to pray that we may live peaceable lives. If at least we are left alone as a church these next 4 years, it might give us a chance to get the gospel out. Which leads me to my last point

6. The Gospel
. Even if McCain had won today, and all the pro-traditional marriage bills passed, people still need to know God. The gospel brings the real change we can believe in. Keep spreading it, teaching it, loving it, hearing it, and above thanking God for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!