2.29.2008

What saddens me abou the Seeker Movement




Many of you know where I stand on certain issues. What saddens me about this video is that it's like church becomes a spectator sport where the important thing is getting people into the door and entertaining them long enough to get the message (if such a message is preached). I doubt many of them will be hearing about turning from their sins, repenting, and following Christ. I"m pretty sure it will be a family friendly event. Why is that so bad? Because church isn't meant to be a family friendly event. I can understand logistical stuff that goes on at big churches, and yet the emphasis is so placed on people, I think it edges God out.

Lest you think I'm being overly picky, two years ago, I had a sad and yet wonderful thing happen to me on Easter Sunday. It was very early, and the people had arrived at my former church. It was one big production show after another. Indeed, there was singing and presentations and it was all fun. (I might add, is church meant to be fun only? ) Anyway, I just saw no preaching of Christ, his mission, he cross or anything. The guest speaker talked about God and how he makes families better. Not that I'm against that kind of stuff, but on the one day when the message of Christ needs to be preached, we get that? It saddened me. I found an empty room and sat down with my laptop and opened my Bible. I was let to read Revelation 5:

1Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals. 2And I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, "Who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?" 3But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it. 4I wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside.

I wept, because no one was worthy. Not even me. i wept for the people because they were being spoon-fed, when they needed meat. I wept, because I felt alone. But then, I read

5Then one of the elders said to me, "Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals."

HE had TRIUMPHED. That's what that day was about. HE was worthy, when I was not. He triumphed, where I could not. In a sense I believe God spoken to me. Through his Word. It was an amazing moment of being alone with God. He encouraged me that day, by showing me what he had done. I hope on Easter Sunday, people will hear about what Christ did for them, rather than get some snazzy production. SDG.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!