12.22.2008

So what should Rick Warren pray?

 
So in light of Rick Warrens controversial invitation to speak at Barrack Obama's inaguration, there has been a lot on line for and against  his appearance. I have to admit, I'm somewhat mixed on this. Should he go there in the spirit of praying for those in authority (or for your enemy!) in light of Romans 13? And what about the equally difficult position of asking a Holy God to bless a man who is pro-choice, for embryonic stem cell research, and gay rights (though not gay marriage it would seem)? Here's pastor (I think) Beth Quick's thoughts on Warren being there (honest I might add):
And then on the other hand, as I've been reflecting, I wonder: I consider not allowing gay and lesbian persons to marry, or restrictions on adoption, or restrictions in the church on ordination, etc., to be oppressive human rights violations. Injustices. Inequalities that are wrong. What if Obama had chosen someone to pray at his inauguration who supported other violations of human rights? I find it harder to answer these questions. If John McCain had been elected, and chosen a pastor to pray who had racist views, would that be ok? Many people shy away from a comparison between racism and heterosexism, but I don't think the analogy is inaccurate. And so I'm just not sure, not sure what 'slot' to put my disagreement with Rick Warren in.
 Her response is telling for two reasons. She obviously differs with Warren's views, but isn't entirely put off with him there. But her difficulty is that he is a heterosexist (it seems very implied). Her pos tis very honest, and she wonders where all the hoopla was when both Obama and McCain met with Warren earlier this year.

The second response comes from Todd Dreher of Crunchy Con Blog. Funny to be sure.
Pastor Rick Warren, who favors civil unions but not full marriage rights, is actually a moderate in this debate. That means two-thirds of all Americans with an opinion on the subject are against same-sex marriage. Yet Rick Warren is somehow too extreme to pray at the Inaugural? Somebody's living in a bubble, and it ain't Rick Warren.

Joseph Farrah of World NEt Daily has this to say (and worth thining about)
Barack Obama is opposed to any and all restrictions on the killing of unborn children and has pledged to work against the few that remain. In fact, as a state legislator in Illinois, he pushed a law that would require the killing of babies born alive after unsuccessful abortions.
I would hope you, a pastor of the gospel of Jesus Christ, would also call that evil.
I’m trying to imagine Jesus giving an invocation at the inauguration of such a man. I think you will agree, it’s unimaginable.
So why are you ready, willing and eager to do this thing?

So what say you? Should he or shouldn't he? What would YOUU DO IN THIS SITUATION? What do I think you ask? I think............to be continued. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!