8.19.2008

The Ohio Mindset (or... I feel old)



Every Year, Beloit College in Ohio releases a survey of their incoming freshmen. As many of you are in ministry, and were born in the 80's (like me), here's a peek at what people born in 1990 are like. I would also add that they will be graduating in 2012 (if the world doesn't end):


1. Harry Potter could be a classmate, playing on their Quidditch team.

5. Coke and Pepsi have always used recycled plastic bottles. (But their ongoing war has never stopped)

7. Gas stations have never fixed flats, but most serve cappuccino.

15. Martha Stewart Living has always been setting the style.

18. WWW has never stood for World Wide Wrestling.

25. There have always been gay rabbis. (DUDE!)

28. IBM has never made typewriters.

30. McDonald's and Burger King have always used vegetable oil for cooking french fries.

33. The Tonight Show has always been hosted by Jay Leno and started at 11:35 EST.

34. Pee-Wee has never been in his playhouse during the day. (I dispute this because if this means the show wasn't seen by them, I say RERUNS!)

40. Balsamic vinegar has always been available in the U.S. (this one shocked me)

44. Caller ID has always been available on phones.

53. The Royal New Zealand Navy has never been permitted a daily ration of rum. (Wow)

59. There have always been charter schools.

60. Students always had Goosebumps.




Wow. Think about it. I'm sure this will give us pause. I know it did for me. But more so, it made me aware that if I am to reach out a culture that has had these intersting experiences, then I think I'll be fine. At least it gives me something else to talk about at cocktail parties (like I would ever get invited to one and seriously who throws cocktail parties anymore?) and a little more insight into the minds of these college kids. Wow. I feel kind of old.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!